Lots of things have been changing recently — from Academy Award ratings (they’re down), to mortgage rates (which have been rising), to the effective tax rates for most businesses and families in 2018 (which, you may have heard, have changed!).

But we here at Hoboken Tax haven’t much changed: we’re still cranking along in preparing your 2017 taxes, meeting with clients, new and old, and helping you keep the most amount legally and ethically possible from the grasping hands of the IRS.

Already, we have many, many clients who have filed, have received refunds and have written us notes telling us that they’ve never been more pleased with their filing experience. And of course, this makes me happy, as you might imagine. That might be you, so read on (or, it might also be that you already know you’re planning to let us handle things, and just haven’t yet come our way).

We’d like to ask you a favor, and we have a simple way to help you help us, as it were.

Yes, we’re extremely busy, but we’ve set aside some capacity for friends and family of our clients. The reason we’re willing to do this is that we already know that you are a good person to work with (else we would have released you as a client!), so it stands to reason that you associate with similar people.

We’ve put together a special gift certificate, embedded in this email below, which we’d like for you to send to your friends and family so that we can serve them this tax season as well!

If you’re a Facebooker, you can post something to your Wall, and we’ll honor that too. Because remember — we love to reward our clients for their generous referrals!

For Friends & Family of ~Contact.FirstName~ ~Contact.LastName~:
$29.00 Off Any Tax Service
Special Gift Certificate
Print this email and bring it to our office — and receive an instant $29 credit towards any tax or financial service for 2018
DEADLINE: Friday, March 16, 2018
Not valid with any other offer

And we also know that waaay back in January, taxes were perhaps not on the forefront of your brain.

But, well, here we are in March … and we have six weeks remaining to get them filed and/or file for an extension on your behalf.

So, I sent this out in early January, but things are now a bit more “real”. Let’s get this stuff done, ~Contact.FirstName~. Chase down these docs, and let’s save you some!

Ryan Mitchell’s
“Real World” Personal Strategy Note
Hoboken Tax’s 2017 Tax Year Filing List
“Arriving at one goal is the starting point to another.” -John Dewey

With all of the changes every year (and, of course, that’s especially true THIS year), filing your taxes on your own is not for the faint of heart. That’s even with nice-looking softwares on the market which purport to make it easy for you.

But that’s what we’re here for. Let us be your easy button.

Below is a list of what you will need during the tax preparation process. Not all of them will apply to you — probably MOST will not. Nonetheless, it’s a useful checklist.

Before you get overwhelmed: yes, this is a long list — but it’s the unfortunate reality of our tax code that it’s not even comprehensive! But these items will cover 95% of our clients. Really, this is for ensuring that we’re able to help you keep every dollar you can keep under our tax code.

Even if for some strange reason you won’t be using our cost-effective services this year, feel free to use this list as a handy guide…

Personal Data
Social Security Numbers (including spouse and children)
Child care provider tax I.D. or Social Security Number

Employment & Income Data
W-2 forms for this year
Tax refunds and unemployment compensation: Form 1099-G
Miscellaneous income including rent: Form 1099-MISC
Partnership and trust income
Pensions and annuities
Alimony received
Jury duty pay
Gambling and lottery winnings
Prizes and awards
Scholarships and fellowships
State and local income tax refunds
Unemployment compensation

Health Insurance Information: NOTE — despite the passage of tax reform that changes this information for 2018 taxes, we still need it for 2017 taxes.
* All 1095-A Forms from marketplace providers (if you purchased insurance through a Marketplace)
* Existing plan information (policy numbers, etc.)
* If claiming an exemption, your unique Exemption Certificate Number
* Records of credits and/or advance payments received from the Premium Tax Credit (if claiming)

Homeowner/Renter Data
Residential address(es) for this year
Mortgage interest: Form 1098
Sale of your home or other real estate: Form 1099-S
Second mortgage interest paid
Real estate taxes paid
Rent paid during tax year
Moving expenses

Financial Assets
Interest income statements: Form 1099-INT & 1099-OID
Dividend income statements: Form 1099-DIV
Proceeds from broker transactions: Form 1099-B
Retirement plan distribution: Form 1099-R
Capital gains or losses

Financial Liabilities
Auto loans and leases (account numbers and car value) if vehicle used for business
Student loan interest paid
Early withdrawal penalties on CDs and other fixed time deposits

Personal property tax information
Department of Motor Vehicles fees

Gifts to charity (receipts for any single donations of $250 or more)
Unreimbursed expenses related to volunteer work
Unreimbursed expenses related to your job (travel expenses, entertainment, uniforms, union dues, subscriptions)
Investment expenses
Job-hunting expenses
Education expenses (tuition and fees)
Child care expenses
Medical Savings Accounts
Adoption expenses
Alimony paid
Tax return preparation expenses and fees

Self-Employment Data
Estimated tax vouchers for the current year
Self-employment tax
Self-employment SEP plans
Self-employed health insurance
K-1s on all partnerships
Receipts or documentation for business-related expenses
Farm income

Deduction Documents
State and local income taxes
IRA, Keogh and other retirement plan contributions
Medical expenses
Casualty or theft losses
Other miscellaneous deductions

We’re here to help. Let me know if you have any questions.


Ryan Mitchell
(201) 266-0025