Sales Tax News From the New Jersey Division of Taxation.
Starting January 1, 2018, the Sales and Use Tax rate will decrease from 6.875% to 6.625%.
Please prepare to update your records accordingly. The new tax rates will be:
- Atlantic City Luxury Tax
- 12.625% (9% Atlantic City Luxury Tax and 3.625% New Jersey Sales and Use Tax for sales subject to both taxes ‒ other than alcoholic beverages by the drink);
- 9.625% (3% Atlantic City Luxury Tax and 6.625% New Jersey Sales and Use Tax for alcoholic beverages that are sold by the drink in Atlantic City);
- Boat and Other Vessels Sales Tax ‒ 3.3125% (50% reduced rate);
- Cape May County Tourism Tax ‒ 8.625% (6.625% New Jersey Sales and Use Tax and 2% Tourism Tax for Wildwood, Wildwood Crest, and North Wildwood). This rate is in addition to the 1.85% Tourism Assessment and the 3.15% State Occupancy Fee on hotel occupancies;
- New Jersey Sales and Use Tax ‒ 6.625%;
- Salem County Sales Tax ‒ 3.3125% (50% reduced rate);
- Urban Enterprise Zone Sales Tax ‒ 3.3125% (50% reduced rate).
If you have any questions:
- Visit here for more information about New Jersey Sales and Use Tax;
- Call the Division of Taxation’s Customer Service Center at 609-292-6400. We’re available Monday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.and Tuesday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., except State holidays; or
- Email us.
The above update is from the State of New Jersey’s Department of Taxation regarding the upcoming changes to our State sales tax. This reduction is part of the 2016 gas tax increase.
If you have any questions regarding your sales tax or have outstanding sales tax issues please contact us at 201-266-0025